Yuichi Tanaka received the B.E., M.E. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Keio University, Yokohama, Japan, in 2003, 2005 and 2007, respectively. He was a Postdoctoral Scholar at Keio University, Yokohama, Japan, from 2007 to 2008, and supported by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). From 2006 to 2008, he was also a visiting scholar at the University of California, San Diego (Video Processing Group supervised by Prof. T. Q. Nguyen). From 2008 to 2012, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Science, Utsunomiya University, Tochigi, Japan. Since 2012, he has been an Associate Professor in Graduate School of BASE, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Tokyo, Japan. Currently he has a cross appointment as a PRESTO Researcher, Japan Science and Technology Agency. His current research interests are in the field of multidimensional signal processing which includes: graph signal processing, image and video processing with computer vision techniques, distributed video coding, objective quality metric, and effective spatial-frequency transform design.
Dr. Tanaka has been an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing since 2016 and also IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals since 2013. Currently he is an elected member of the APSIPA Image, Video and Multimedia Technical Committee. He was a recipient of the Yasujiro Niwa Outstanding Paper Award in 2010, the TELECOM System Technology Award in 2011, and Ando Incentive Prize for the Study of Electronics in 2015. He also received IEEE Signal Processing Society Japan Best Paper Award in 2016 and Best Paper Awards in APSIPA ASC 2014 and 2015.
- Apr. 1999-Mar. 2003: Dept. of Electronics & Electrical Engineering, Keio Univ. (B.E.)
- Apr. 2003-Mar. 2005: School of Integrated Design Engineering, Keio Univ. (M.E.)
- Apr. 2005-Sep. 2007: School of Integrated Design Engineering, Keio Univ. (Ph.D. in Engineering)
- Oct. 2007-Nov. 2008: Post-doc at Multimedia Signal Processing Group, EEE Dept., Keio Univ.
- Jul. 2006-Dec. 2006, Nov. 2007-May 2008: Post-doc at Video Processing Group (managed by Prof. T. Q. Nguyen) in the Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, University of California, San Diego.
- Apr. 2005-Mar. 2007: Research Assistant of COE (Center Of Excellence) at Keio Univ.
- Aug. 2007-Nov. 2008: Research Assistant of Global COE at Keio Univ.
- Apr. 2007-Nov. 2008: Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Dec. 2008-Mar. 2012: Assistant Professor at Utsunomiya Univ.
- Apr. 2012-present: Associate Professor at Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
- Dec. 2016-present: PRESTO Researcher at Japan Science and Technology Agency
- FY2013-present: Signal Processing
- FY2013-present: Multidimensional and Multimedia Signal Processing
- FY2009-2012: Information Science Experiment I
- FY2009-2012: Programming Exercise II and III
- FY2007: Applied Analysis
Associate Editor Experience
- 2016-present: IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing
- 2013-present: IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals
- 2016: Guest Associate Editor of IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals for the Special Issue on Recent Advances in Image Sampling and Reconstruction
- 2015: Guest Associate Editor of IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals for the Special Issue on Signal Processing for Sensing and Diagnosis
- 2009-2012: IIEEJ
- Trans. on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers
- Trans. on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs
- Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- Trans. on Image Processing
- Trans. on Multimedia
- Trans. on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
- Trans. on Signal and Information Processing over Networks
- Trans. on Signal Processing (Appreciated Reviewer, 2008)
- Signal Processing Letters
- Trans. on Fundamentals
- Trans. on Communications
- Trans. on Information and Systems
- Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing
- Image and Vision Computing
- Information Fusion
- Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation
- Signal Processing
- Signal Processing: Image Communication
- Optical Review
- and many international conferences (including ICASSP, ICIP and ISCAS)
Special Session Organizer
- APSIPA ASC 2016, Graph Signal Processing for Advanced Imaging Problems, with Prof. Gene Cheung
- APSIPA ASC 2012, Recent Advances in High Fidelity Digital Imaging, with Prof. Masahiro Okuda
- Graph Signal Processing: Towards Sparse Representations of "Big" Spatio-Temporal Data, at 28th RAMP Symposium, Niigata, Japan, Oct. 2016.
- Fundamentals of Graph Signal Processing, at Acoustical Society of Japan 2016 Autumn Meeting, Toyama, Japan, Sep. 2016.
- Graph Signal Processing: Fundamentals and Applications, at SCI'16, Kyoto, Japan, May 2016.
- Graph Signal Processing: Extracting information from signals on networks, at 7th International Conference on Knowledge and Systems Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Oct. 2015.
- Graph Signal Processing: Complex and Large-Scale Information Processing, at 28th Workshop on Circuits and Systems, Hyogo, Japan, Aug. 2015.
- Signal Processing on Graphs: Recent Results, Challenges and Applications, at PCSJ/IMPS 2014, Shizuoka, Japan, Nov. 2014 (with Prof. Antonio Ortega). slide
- Recent Advances on Signal Processing on Graphs, at 28th Signal Processing Symposium, Yamaguchi, Japan, Nov. 2013.
- 2016: IEEE Signal Processing Society Japan Best Paper Award (for "M-channel oversampled graph filter banks," IEEE TSP, co-authored with A. Sakiyama)
- 2015: APSIPA ASC 2015 Best Paper Award (for "Subspace-constrained multilinear discriminant analysis for ERP-based brain computer interface classification," co-authored with H. Higashi, T. Rutkowski, and T. Tanaka)
- 2015: Ando Incentive Prize for the Study of Electronics
- 2014: APSIPA ASC 2014 Best Paper Award (for "Smoothing of spatial filter by graph Fourier transform for EEG signals" co-authored with H. Higashi and T. Tanaka)
- 2011: TELECOM System Technology Award from The Telecommunications Advancement Foundation
- 2010: Yasujiro Niwa Outstanding Paper Award (for "Multiresolution image representation using combined 2-D and 1-D directional filter banks," IEEE TIP, co-authored with M. Ikehara and T. Q. Nguyen)
Grants and Funds
- 2016-2020: PRESTO Research Area on "Fundamental Information Technologies Toward Innovative Social System Design" from Japan Science and Technology Agency (PI)
- 2016-2019: Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B) from MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology in Japan) (PI)
- 2014-2017: Strategic Information and Communications R&D Promotion Programme (SCOPE) from MIC (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications) (PI)
- 2012-2016: Grant for Tenure-Track Promotion Program from MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology in Japan): Selected as an outstanding researcher
- 2012-2015: Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (PI)
- 2011-2014: Research Grant from SCAT (Support Center for Advanced Telecommunications Technology Research, Foundation) (PI)
- 2011-2012: Research Grant from Kayamori Foundation of Informational Science Advancement (PI)
- 2010-2012: Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (PI)
- 2010-2012: Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture (Co-Investigator, PI: Prof. Shigeo Kato)
- 2010-2012: Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture (Co-Investigator, PI: Assoc. Prof. Madoka Hasegawa)
- 2010: Research Grant from The Nakajima Foundation (PI)
- 2010: Research Grant from The Circle for the promotion of science and Engineering (PI)
- 2010: Grant for International Conference from Yazaki Foundation
- 2009-2010: Research Grant from Casio Science Promotion Foundation (PI)
- 2009: Utsunomiya University Grant for Exploratory Research (PI)
- 2009: Grant for International Conference from NEC C&C Foundation
- 2007-2008: Grants-in-Aid for JSPS Fellows
- 2006, 2009: Grant for International Conference from The Telecommunications Advancement Foundation
Fellowships and Scholarships
- 2006: Scholarship Recipient of Fujiwara Scholarship Foundation
- Apr. 2005- Mar. 2007: Scholarship Recipient of TEPCO Research Foundation
- Apr. 2003- Mar. 2007: Scholarship Recipient of Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)